Vacationing with Braces
Braces on Vacation
School is out and summer is here! After a long winter we are all ready to hit the beaches and have some fun in the sun. Some of us are preparing for camp. Wherever we end up we take our braces with us and our teeth continue to become straight. Although this is a good thing, if we are on vacation, this means are braces are on vacation and our orthodontists are back at home. Without having our orthodontist around we need to take extra care of our braces to make sure we stay on track with treatment but most importantly to make sure we dont end up uncomfortable. Here’s how to help yourself with ,” Braces on vacation “.
Before taking your braces on vacation,take the time to make sure you have everything you need. In order to take care of your braces you will need;
- Toothpick, flosspick, or other interdental cleaners
- A toothbrush or two
- A mini bottle of mouth rinse
- Orthodontic wax to help with any dismofort that may result from treatment
- A small mirror to explore any issues that may arise
Better Safe Than Sorry
We understand that braces break, but while taking your braces on vacation it is best you don’t have this happen. Broken brackets can cause a lot of discomfort and slow down your treatment. In an effort to make sure you dont break anything, you must also be careful with the foods you consume.
- Chewy, sticky, or gummy food
- Apples, pears, and other whole fruits (cut fruit into wedges before consuming)
- Bagels and hard rolls (warm the bagel up and cut into pieces if eating)
- Corn on the cob
- Hard candies
- Hard cookies or pretzels
Its also best to stay away from soda being that it stains teeth and has a high sugar content.
If you are an Invisalign patient and lose your aligners, don’t worry. Simply pop the previous one in until you are able to get another.
Call us if you have any questions!