Before You Choose Invisalign, Read This
For decades, traditional metal braces were the go-to choice for orthodontic treatment. But that’s only because it was the only option available! Today, there are more treatment options than there were in the past, leading people to be unsure of which to choose! For many of Dr. Susan Tierney and Dr. Michael Sheinis’s patients, Invisalign has become the most popular choice. At Straight Set Orthodontics, we have noticed that getting Invisalign near Mineola, NY has been more sought after than any other orthodontic treatment option. So before you choose Invisalign for yourself or your child, the team at Straight Set Orthodontics recommends that you learn a little more about this popular treatment.
- What is Invisalign? Invisalign is a new approach to get a straight and healthy smile. It uses custom-made aligners to gradually shift teeth. Every two weeks, a new aligner is given to you to wear and this process is continued for the rest of treatment.
- What makes Invisalign different from traditional metal braces? The top difference between the two is that Invisalign retainers are virtually invisible. The aligners are clear and fit right over your teeth, so people won’t even know that you’re straightening your teeth. Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign has no metal brackets or wires, making it more comfortable and less painful. Invisalign, unlike traditional metal braces, are also removable and can be taken out to eat and brush and floss your teeth.
- Does Invisalign hurt? You’ve probably heard about how uncomfortable and painful traditional metal braces can be, but with Invisalign, pain is far less common. Past patients have referred to the pain as more of a slight discomfort. While there are sometimes feelings of pressure or tenderness, the pain is far less than those with traditional metal braces have experienced.
- How long does Invisalign Treatment take? Every case is different. Depending on how severe your case is, Dr. Susan Tierney and Dr. Michael Sheinis will be able to give an estimate of how long it will take. To maximize the results and ensure a faster orthodontic treatment process, follow all of the directions you receive from the team at Straight Set Orthodontics, and make sure to wear the aligners at least 22 hours a day. Only remove them to eat, brush, and floss!
- Will I Be Able to Afford Invisalign? Orthodontic treatment can become a major expensive pretty quickly. However, many dental insurances policies do in fact cover Invisalign treatment. Also, ask the team at Straight Set Orthodontics if they do payment plans or offer any discounts. The only way to know for sure how much treatment will cost is by coming in for a consultation with Dr. Susan Tierney and Dr. Michael Sheinis and discussing your options.
- Will Invisalign affect my day to day activities? In short, no, Invisalign will not affect your day to day activities. You will probably want to avoid foods or drinks that have the possibility of staining your teeth and aligners. The only change that you might make is that you will want to brush and floss more to avoid aligner and teeth stains. But for the most part, you will still be able to play sports, have fun, and live your life! Invisalign is the go to choice for people with an active lifestyle.
Now, are you ready to make the next step and begin treatment? To find out more about Invisalign treatment, or to see if it’s right for you, make an appointment with Dr. Susan Tierney and Dr. Michael Sheinis. To schedule an appointment with Straight Set Orthodontics near Mineola, NY, call our office today at 516.248.2560, we will be happy to answer any questions you may have and to help you get one step closer to a confident and healthy smile!